A talk I gave at Brunei Geek Meet on the 29th April 2016 as a follow up to our Data Hackathon about my journey of creating a Brunei map and and bus routes
Links from the talk
This is essentially an intro to Vagrant and an intro to Docker slide decks combined into one. These slides were prepared for GDG DevFest 2014 but was cancelled last minute. Best not let the slides go to waste.
Is that a Vagrant in your Computer? (Using Vagrant to set up your environment)
Computer Whaling (Using Docker to set up your environment)
Thanks to Tru-Synergy for hosting Brunei Geek Meet #4 and thanks for all those who attended! It was a much better turn out than I expected and hope for more meetups to come!
Open Source Involvements: Experience in working on the OpenMRS CPM open source project
- People Management is essential
- there is a need to manage expectations
- High barriers of entry => great killer of enthusiasm
- Reproducible developer environments
- Project Management: list of things to work on
- It takes time
- commit 4 – 8 meetups to see where you can contribute
- nothing is too small
- Places to contribute
- OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free software contributors with communities, tools, and education. openhatch.org
- CodeTriage: receive a different open issue in your inbox every day. codetriage.com
Testing: TDD, BDD, WTH?
- TDD: Test Driven Development (Red, Green, Refactor)
- Write test (watch test fail in test suite: Red)
- Write code (to make test pass: Green
- BDD: Behaviour Driven Development
- Focuses on clear understanding of software behavior from stakeholders
- Focuses on why code should be created: thinking “from the outside in”
- Given [initial context]
- when [event occurs]
- then [ensure some outcomes]
- Unit Tests
- Testing core unit of works
- Isolated: no interaction with other systems (e.g. databases, web services)
- Integration Tests
- Test the integration between 2 different “units” / systems (e.g. your core system and the database / web service)
- Database interaction: test database or in-memory databses (H2 / SQLite)
- Functional Tests
On the 15th of February the Google Developer Group (GDG) Brunei held a Dart Flight School at DST’s Signature Store.
I prerecorded an “Intro to Dart” video just in case as with all things, technology can be troublesome at times =) There is also a 4 hour long Hangouts on Air recording of the entire event
Intro to Dart slide deck
The code labs served as a way to learn Dart and it is even deployable on Heroku. We also covered a bit of Angular JS with a work in progress AngularJS intro project on GitHub.
Lightning talk slides presented at the first Brunei Geek Meet 2 weeks back