Today is Software Freedom Day and as a user of technology you should think about the programs that you use and understand the importance of the free software movement.
Depending on who you talk to, “free” it can mean different things but in terms of Software Freedom Day, “free software” refers to freedom and not price. Some of the core beliefs of both free software movement is that computers users should have the freedom to:
- use the software for any purpose
- study the software and modify it to suit their needs
- distribute copies, either gratis or for a fee, and
- distribute modified copies to help their community
I thought it was appropriate that I release the code for the SMARTER eVCS as an open source project dual licensed under the GPL V3 and MIT License. As I previously mentioned I hope that this will foster some community development and be a point for people to involve themselves in a community project of a different kind that I believe has yet to be done in Brunei.
The code is available at https://github.com/thewheat/SMARTER-eVCS-webapp
It requires CakePHP for now and was built on an older version of CakePHP and somethings on the todo list are as follows
- Move to AJAX instead of full page load for the user front end (admin can stay as is for now)
- Responsive/Mobile site design
- User login with each user having ability to manage multiple profiles
- Possible remove the need for CakePHP all together to make it lighter
Next up will be the Android app source code release and also deploying the demo app online for people to play around and test. In the meantime, anybody willing to support, contribute or help can leave a comment / fork the code / spread the news. Any and all forms of participation is truly appreciated.